What is an Administrative Assistant?
An Administrative Assistant is responsible for supporting an administrative professional to help them stay organized and complete tasks that allow them to focus on more advanced responsibilities.
The core duties and responsibilities of an Administrative Assistant revolve around supporting others. Their job duties can vary widely, not just from job to job, but from day to day at the same job. This role generally reports to a supervisor or manager.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 0-2 years of experience in the field or in a related area
Administrative Assistant Essential Skills
- Attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills
- Organizational skills
Administrative Assistant Roles & Responsibilities
- Aid management with administrative tasks such as tracking and compiling information of interest
- May handle confidential information
- Create and maintain filing systems, both electronic and physical
- Manage accounts and perform bookkeeping
- Prepare various reports detailing the administrative information handled by the position
- Review and answer correspondence
- Coordinate travel for department or individuals
- Answer phones and greet visitors
- Schedule appointments and maintain calendars
- Prepare communications, such as memos, emails, invoices, reports and other correspondence